Supercharge Your Sales Team With HubSpot Sales Sequence Tool
For sales to work their magic, they need to focus on what they do best – selling. Instead, a good portion of their day is consumed by things that could be automated. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?
Ask yourself if you ever lost an opportunity to close a deal because you forgot to follow up? Or maybe spent more time digging through the files you wanted to share with your customer?
If you can relate to it, you need to supercharge your sales processes with the HubSpot Sales Sequence Tool. Why, you ask? This tool can lift off your administrative burdens and help you maximize your efficiency.
Let’s get into the nitty-gritty of the HubSpot Sales Sequence tool.
What are HubSpot Sequences?
Sequences are direct sales emails that you send to your hot leads with specific offers added in a short series of messages with scheduled delays in between. With the HubSpot Sales Sequences Tool, you can create customized email templates to reach out, follow up, and engage with customers in the most efficient way. You can send a series of targeted, timed email templates to nurture your contacts. You can create sales sequences for:
- canceled meetings
- following up after a meeting
- reaching out to cold leads
Who can use sequences?
The sequences tool is accessible if you have any of the following subscriptions:
- Sales Hub Starter
- Sales Hub Professional
- Sales Hub Enterprise
Additionally, sequences can also be used by Service Hub Starter, Professional, or Enterprise users who have any of the following connected email inboxes:
- G Suite
- Office 365
Why is the sequence tool a must-have for your sales team?
Almost all sales people follow steps similar to these:
- call the lead
- send them an email
- send a follow-up email in a few days
- call the lead again
- send another email
Usually, this is done manually but not anymore. With sequences, you and your team have a powerful tool to follow up and nurture prospects effectively with. Here’s how:
1. Automated follow-up: You can send a series of scheduled emails to your contacts over time so as to never lose touch. You can choose from a list of messages, enroll any contact from your inbox, tailor each message, and choose when you send it to your contacts’ inbox.
2. Simplified outreach: With HubSpot Sales Sequences, you can set up your outreach process once and easily keep track of different prospects in your pipeline. You can automatically create tasks to remind you to follow up with your contacts and when they reply to your email or schedule a meeting, they will be automatically unenrolled from the sequence.
3. Efficient nurturing: B2B sales cycles are complex and can often span across weeks or months. With HubSpot Sales Sequences, you can create a template, add your prospect’s information, set the time delays, and nurture them over time with useful content based on their personas and buyer journey.
4. Personalized touch: HubSpot Sales Sequences work best with personalization tokens such as contact name or company details, so you can tailor one-of-a-kind emails in your sequence to make your prospects feel more exclusive.
5. Optimized efficiency: You can use email tracking to figure out which sequences are working best for you. Open, click, and reply data can help you drill-down which email templates and sequences are most effective, so you can optimize your emails. Once you’ve identified your best sequences, share them with your team to scale overall efficiency.
Now that we know why sequences are so crucial. Let’s understand how to get HubSpot Sales Sequences up and running.
How to get started with HubSpot Sales Sequences
To get the most out of HubSpot Sequences, here’s how you can begin:
- In your HubSpot account, go to Automation > Sequences.
- Click on Create Sequence.
- To begin, you can either select Start from scratch which allows you to add your own emails and tasks or opt for a pre-made sequence template which has options like ‘Recent Conversion’ or ‘Product or Demo Request’ choose the one that fits best with your prospect’s recent activity.
- After you choose the template, click on Create Sequence to start with sequences and give a name to your sequence in the sequence editor.
After you’ve created your sequence, the next important thing is to add steps. It’s key to remember steps in a sequence happen one-by-one.
Here’s how you can add steps to your Sequence:
- To add a step, click on the + plus icon and select Action.
- You can also add automated emails or create task reminders.
- To send an automated email, click on Automated email.
- You can either choose to Create new email template or use Existing email templates from the drop-down menu that aligns with your prospect’s activity.
- After adding the automated email to your sequence, you can set the time delay schedule between sequence steps for the number of days or weeks that should pass by before the next step is executed.
To create a task reminder, click on Email, Call, or To-do.
- After you enter a title for your task, you can select the Priority from the drop-down menu.
- To add the task to a queue, click on Queue from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the task details in the Notes field. You can use the toolbar to format the text and insert a link or a snippet.
- To create an email task reminder, you can add an email template to the follow-up task.
- When completing the task, the email composer window opens on the contact’s record and displays the email template’s content pre-populated.
- Click on Add email template.
- To filter your existing templates, click on the Existing email templates drop-down menu or use the Search bar to look up a template. Next, select any template from the list.
- Click on Add to add the steps, then use the drop-down menu to schedule a delay. You can set the number of days or weeks that should pass before the task is executed. Also, if you wish to execute a task immediately after an email is sent, you can select Create task immediately to do so.
- In HubSpot, a sequence will pause until the task is complete, by default. If you need more time to complete a task, you can pause a sequence to ensure that the sequence won’t continue. Accordingly, to continue the sequence if the task is incomplete, select the Continue without completing task checkbox.
After you’ve added steps to your sequence, you can edit the sequence settings.
Here’s how you can edit sequence settings:
- Click on the Settings tab.
- In HubSpot, sequence emails are only sent on weekdays, by default. So, if you want to send emails on Saturday and Sunday, click on the toggle icon against Send follow-up emails on weekdays only to enable sending emails on the weekend.
- If you want each email in the sequence to thread together in the recipient’s inbox, you can click on the toggle icon for Thread follow-up emails as replies to turn it on.
- You can customize the timing of each email in the sequence.
- When a specific contact responds to a sequence email, you can unenroll all other contacts with the same company email address from the sequence. To do this, click on the toggle icon for Unenroll contacts from the same company to turn it on.
After saving your edits, you can then start to enroll contacts in the sequence. You can monitor their engagement level with your sequence from the sequence summary page.
If you have contacts that are currently active in a sequence, you can edit your sequence templates, update the tasks included in your sequence, and adjust the sequence settings.
Here’s how you can edit Sequences:
- To re-order the steps in the sequence, select Actions from the drop-down menu, and choose to Move Up or Move Down.
- Additionally, you can also edit the email template or task directly from the sequence.
- If you want to remove a step from your sequence, select Actions from the drop-down menu and choose Delete.
- Once your sequence is set up, you can easily enroll your contacts in a sequence.
The sequences needed for day-to-day sales operations depend on the market you operate in and the sales cycle you have but, generally, there are 5 types of engagements that you can automate:
Sequence 1 – Recent conversion via your company website
Sequence 2 – Follow-up about a phone call you received
Sequence 3 – Prospecting cold leads
Sequence 4 – Event/trade show follow-up
Sequence 5 – Lost/re-engagement with contact
What are the best practices to use HubSpot Sequences?
Using sequences fuels you and your sales team to blaze ahead. There are, however, some key practices you must follow to ensure you progress the right way.
- Identify your goals to make sure you know what you want your sequences to achieve and how you can use and monitor them.
- Build sequences according to the ideal customer profile and buyer personas you are targeting to make it easier to personalize communication.
- Think of the length of the sequences – How long do you want them to run for? What time delays do you want?
- Use different sequences depending on your buyer’s journey. An ideal approach is to run a sequence over a 10-day period with 7 steps to it.
With HubSpot Sequences in your corner, you can scale your activity to optimize your outreach and accomplish so much more in just a few clicks.
The HubSpot Sequence ride can be tricky. Fret not, just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll take it from there!