Digital marketing is ever-evolving. To survive and thrive in the industry, you need to keep up with the latest developments.
Staying updated with market statistics will help you create an effective business strategy.
It will enable you to understand how to allocate resources and where to look for new opportunities. Statistics are also an indication of trends and areas of growth.
At Grazitti, we’ve curated and categorized a list of digital marketing statistics for 2023 to help you make the most of industry developments and trends.
Download now: [eBook] Digital Marketing Trends and Predictions 2023.
Table of Contents
Search Engine Optimization Statistics
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) helps you rank high on search results and improve online presence. It involves elements ranging from conversion rate optimization (CRO) to optimizing for organic, mobile, and voice search, as well as eCommerce.
Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)
Conversions are a top priority in digital marketing. Here is the average conversion rate for businesses by website, device, and channel. Average Conversion Rate by Website:
|Distribution Point||Average Conversion Rate|
|Top 25% of Websites||5.31%|
|Top 10% of Websites||11.45%|
(Source: Meetanshi) Average Conversion Rate by Device:
Average Conversion Rate by Marketing Channel:
|Thought Leadership SEO||2.1%|
|Google Ads (PPC)||0.7%|
(Source: First Page Sage)
- The #1 result on Google SERPs has a click-through rate of 27.6% on average. (Backlinko)
- Website conversion rates drop by an average of 2.11% with each additional second of loading time. (Portent)
- The global average eCommerce conversion rate across all sectors is 2.1%. (Statista)
- The click-through rate for the top-ranking search result decreases from 8.17% on desktop to 6.74% on mobile devices. (SEOClarity)
- Only 17% of marketers A/B test landing pages to improve conversion rates. (HubSpot)
- B2B and tech companies generate 2x more revenue from organic search as compared to other channels. (BrightEdge)
- 90.63% of pages do not get organic search traffic from Google. (Ahrefs)
- The first five organic search results on the first page of SERPs account for 67.6% of all clicks. (Zero Limit Web)
- 33% of eCommerce visits are generated through organic search. (Statista)
- 49% of marketers say organic search has the best ROI for any marketing channel. (Search Engine Journal)
- Updating existing content can increase organic traffic by 111.3%. (Safari Digital)
- Mobile search has surpassed desktop search among users. Here’s a breakdown of mobile search across different industries.
- Mobile devices account for 63% of organic search. (Statista)
- 30% of pages that appear on the first page of desktop search results do not appear on the top 10 results of mobile search. (Smart Insights)
- 72.6% of internet users will access the web solely via smartphones by 2025. (CNBC)
- Medium-tail keyword searches are used above average on mobile phones, while long-tail keyword searches are used more on desktop. (Sistrix)
- 34.4% of mobile search results get no clicks. (SparkToro)
- 65% of consumers begin their journey via mobile search and browsing. (Yotpo)
- 40% of adults use voice search daily. Here’s a breakdown:
- Voice search is the 2nd most popular channel for mobile search, with 20% of searches made every day. (Google)
- 58% of consumers use voice search to find local business information. (BrightLocal)
- 75% of US families will own a smart speaker by 2025. (Voicebot)
- The number of global voice assistants will reach 8 billion by the end of 2023. (Statista)
- There are currently over 24 million eCommerce websites worldwide. (WPForms)
- 218.8 million customers are expected to shop online in 2023. (Insider Intelligence)
- 95% of all purchases will be through eCommerce by 2040. (Nasdaq)
- 93.5% of global internet users have purchased products online. (OptinMonster)
- Overseas retailers account for 57% of all online purchases. (Logistyx)
- 65% of online shoppers prefer to buy products with content written in their native tongue. (CSA Research)
Boost website SEO with a complimentary digital marketing audit.
Content Marketing Statistics
Content marketing helps increase brand awareness and engagement by delivering the right message at the right time. It includes the strategic creation and distribution of written, audio, and visual content that resonates with the target audience.
- Millions of blog posts are posted every day across billions of websites. Here’s a breakdown:
|Duration||Number of Blogs Posted|
|Every Day||7.5 Million|
|Every Week||52.5 Million|
|Every Month||225 Million|
|Every Year||2.73 Billion|
(Source: Demand Sage)
- There are currently more than 600 million blogs on the internet. (GrowthBadger)
- An ideal blog post has a word count of 1760 – 2400 words. (Hook Agency)
- Content creation costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates 3x more leads. (Web Tribunal)
- 65% of content marketers say blogs are their most-used format. (MarketingBuddy)
- Only one-third of bloggers regularly check their blog’s traffic analytics. (Statista)
- 64% of the most successful B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy. (Content Marketing Institute)
- 81% of marketers view content as a core business strategy. (CMI)
- 70% of marketers regularly invest in content marketing. (HubSpot)
- 51% of businesses investing in content marketing publish content daily. (The Manifest)
- Over 60% of marketers measure the success of their content marketing strategy through sales. (HubSpot)
- 81% of listeners have taken action after hearing audio ads during a podcast. (Spotify)
- There are currently 2.4 million podcasts and 420 million listeners globally. (Demand Sage)
- 16% of marketers have invested in audio chat rooms such as Clubhouse and Twitter Spaces. (HubSpot)
- The average listener spends 16:14 hours a week listening to online audio. (Infinite Dial)
- The most important considerations for hiring a voice actor for audio content are:
- 80% of people prefer video over written text. Here’s a breakdown of their preferences:
- 85% of marketers say video is an effective way to get attention online. (Animoto)
- Over 90% of people discover new brands or products on YouTube. (Google)
- 49% of marketers say video has helped them reduce support calls. (Wyzowl)
- 64% of marketers find videos to be the most difficult content to create. (OptinMonster)
Social Media Statistics
Social media is a powerful tool for boosting brand visibility and engagement. While there are many social media platforms you can tap into, it’s best to focus on those where your target audience is present.
- LinkedIn has more than 875 million users worldwide. (LinkedIn)
- 4 out of 5 LinkedIn users impact business decisions. (LinkedIn)
- 30% of a brand’s engagement on LinkedIn comes from its employees. (LinkedIn)
- Marketers see up to 2x more conversions on LinkedIn. (LinkedIn)
- 40% of B2B marketers say LinkedIn is the most effective channel for driving high-quality leads. (LinkedIn)
- Twitter’s user count is expected to grow to 335 million in 2023. (eMarketer)
- Over 500 million Tweets are sent every day. (Internet Live)
- Twitter users generally have a higher income. (Pew Research)
- 53% of Twitter’s audience is more likely to be the first to purchase new products. (Twitter)
- Twitter’s CPM is the lowest out of all major platforms. (Statista)
- There are over 2.91 billion monthly active users on Facebook. (Statista)
- 72% of users don’t trust Facebook to protect their privacy. (Washington Post)
- People are 53% more likely to buy from a business using Facebook live chat. (Facebook)
- There are 250 million Facebook Shops worldwide. (Statista)
- Instagram is the 7th most visited website in the world. (Hootsuite)
- Instagram is the second-most downloaded app worldwide. (Hootsuite)
- Instagram has over 2 billion monthly active users. (Statista)
- 58% of users get more interested in a brand after seeing it on an Instagram Story. (Instagram)
- 90% of Instagram users follow at least one business. (Instagram)
- TikTok has been downloaded 3.5 billion times worldwide. (Visual Capitalist)
- TikTok has the highest social media engagement rate per post. (Social Insider)
- 63% of successful TikTok ads communicate their message right away. (TikTok)
- TikTok ads reach around 885 million people. (DataReportal)
- 80% of trending TikTok videos have some kind of music. (Invideo)
- 50% of TikTok users have bought something after watching a TikTok live. (TikTok)
- Snapchat has over 319 million daily active users. (Statista)
- 59% of U.S. users check Snapchat daily. (Pew Research Center)
- Snapchat’s users have over $4.4 trillion in spending power. (Snapchat)
- 55% of Gen Z have ad recall after watching 0 to 2 seconds of an ad. (Snapchat)
- Active users open Snapchat 30 times a day. (Tech Crunch)
- Snapchatters are 2x more likely to share purchases. (Snapchat)
Maximize your social media presence with the right marketing strategy – Download Cheat Sheet.
Paid Advertising Statistics
Paid advertising helps promote your brand and reach audiences that you couldn’t with organic marketing. It ranges from PPC (Pay-Per-Click) to social ads, affiliate marketing, and influencer marketing.
- PPC generates 2x website visitors than SEO. (Techjury)
- 32% of companies use PPC to sell products directly to consumers. (WebFX)
- 65% of small to mid-sized businesses have a PPC campaign. (WebFX)
- 46% of all clicks go to the top three PPC ads. (WebFX)
- Ad spend on social media reached over $173 billion in 2022. (Statista)
- Digital ad spend is estimated to increase by 20% in 2023. (G2)
- Social media advertising is the 2nd biggest market in digital ads. (Statista)
- The cost of running ads on Meta has increased by 24% YOY. (Meta Investor Relations)
- Instagram’s advertising reach has outpaced Facebook. (Hootsuite)
- 130 million social media users engage with shopping posts every month. (G2)
- 15%–30% of all advertising sales are generated by affiliate programs. (SaaS Scout)
- Affiliate marketing spend is projected to grow to $9 billion in 2023 in the US alone. (Pushground)
- 59% of companies use influencers for affiliate marketing. (Influencer Marketing Hub)
- 31% of publishers say that affiliate marketing is one of their top three sources of revenue. (eMarketer)
- Affiliate marketing is the most important customer acquisition channel for 20% of brand marketers. (Pepperjam)
- 72% of marketers say influencer marketing provides higher quality customers. (Influencer Marketing Hub)
- Influencer marketing ad spend is projected to reach $32.53 billion by 2023. (Statista)
- 49% of consumers depend on influencer recommendations. (Digital Marketing Institute)
- 97% of marketers consider Instagram to be the most important influencer marketing channel. (Shopify)
Email Marketing Statistics
Email marketing is one of the oldest and strongest marketing strategies. It helps you connect with your target audience in a personalized way and establish a convenient interaction channel.
- The number of global email users is set to grow to 4.48 billion users by 2024. (Statista)
- An average customer spends 10 seconds going through brand emails. (Statista)
- 65% of marketers globally use automated email marketing. (Demand Sage)
- For every $1 spent on email marketing, marketers can get a $42 return, on average. (Litmus)
- It is estimated that email marketing will generate 11 billion in revenue by 2023. (Statista)
- The best days to send marketing emails based on performance are:
Marketing Analytics Statistics
Marketing analytics help you gauge marketing efforts and measure effectiveness. It enables you to understand what’s working in your marketing strategy and what needs improvement to achieve desired goals.
- Around 74,678,968 websites use Google Analytics. (BuiltWith)
- A total of 228,737 websites use Adobe Analytics. (BuiltWith)
- Chief Marketing Officers (CMOs) spend around 6.5% of their marketing budget on analytics. (Villanova University)
- The global marketing analytics software market size is expected to reach $7.43 billion in value by 2027. (Grand View Research)
- Marketers who use 5 or more analytics tools are 39% more likely to see an improvement in overall marketing performance. (Think With Google)
From Digital Marketing Statistics to Business Growth
Building the right marketing strategy for your business can be tricky. If you want to hit it out of the ballpark, we recommend beginning with a digital marketing audit first. A complete health check of your digital footprint will help create an effective marketing strategy that’s unique to your business and works for your success.
Want To Optimize Your Digital Marketing Strategy for 2023? Let Us Help.
At Grazitti, the digital marketing team has served global clientele ranging from Fortune 500 companies to government agencies, and non-profit organizations for their search, social media, paid marketing, and analytics needs.
Our strategic partnerships with technology pioneers such as Google, Microsoft, HubSpot, and Adobe, combined with our innovative approach to delivering result- solutions have helped companies transform their business and save millions.
To know more, just drop us a line at [email protected] and we’ll take it from there.
Popular Blog Posts
Why First-Party Data is the Future of Marketing?
Why Online Reputation Management Is Essential for Businesses
How To Drive Sales From Google Search Ads
How To Get the Most Out of Your Social Ads Budget?
Website Health Check: Top Technical SEO, PPC, & Social Tips
Grow Your Business With Social Media Marketing