The mobile application testing space is complex. The mobile is a significant percentage of primary access to the internet. So we thought it deserves more than a single post – here is the first one.
Why do we need Mobile application testing ?
Consider some statistics:
- 5.3 billion1,2 is the number estimated by the International Telecommunication Union as the total number of mobile subscriptions in the world by the end of 2010. Growth being led by India and China.
- Smart phone sales accounted for about 22% of total mobile sales in 20101,4,5
- 25% of all smart phone users do most of their online browsing on their phone6.
- Over 300,000 mobile applications were developed between 2007-20101.
- Payments by mobile ‘m-payments’, estimated to be about US$ 240 Billion in 20111.
Next we see how the following graphic illustrates that a smart phone user’s maximum time is spent on his Applications. We assume a similar time distribution holds true across other phones.