As a salesperson, you want to successfully convert every lead you get but the task is actually a tall order. Based on initial interaction, you change a lead into an opportunity but moving an opportunity to closed-lost leaves you crestfallen.
There could be a number of factors (that are not in your control) behind the lost opportunity. This, however, could be constant or transient. There could be a possibility that a lead comes back, maybe within days, weeks, or months.
If it happens, the chances of conversion are brighter than before. But what will you do next?
Reopen the old opportunity
If reopening the opportunity is what comes to your mind first, think again! When reopening an old opportunity, Salesforce cannot discern an account for this period of dormancy when calculating your sales cycle, throwing those numbers out of whack.
Create a new opportunity
If not reopen, the only option you have is to create a new opportunity. But here lies the problem. Supposedly, if you have converted 20 out of 100 opportunities in a quarter, creating a new opportunity ends up leading to a new conversion rate of winning 20 out of every 101, throwing off your quarterly report slightly on the funnel conversion rates.
Here’s how we helped one of our clients who was stuck in a similar situation
One of our customers had encountered a similar case. He expressed his concern during one of our routine calls. After assessing the possibilities, we proposed a solution.
Most organizations use both marketing automation and CRM tools. And largely, Marketo is used for marketing automation and Salesforce for customer relationship management (CRM).
In this blog post, we will be discussing the solution to one such challenge: The challenge to manage leads in Salesforce once the status is converted to closed-lost and that leads fills out the Marketo form again.
Once a lead is closed-lost, that’s where its journey in Salesforce CRM is rounded off. But what if the same lead comes back after a while?
Well, in that case, a new lead is created in the Salesforce instance but that is synced with the existing one that is closed-lost. So, this causes discrepant data and often, these leads get missed. You, certainly, don’t want that to happen.
Grazitti’s Salesforce experts developed a custom solution to deal with the problem.
The solution was developed to streamline lead conversion in Salesforce after intense thought that involved:
- The fact that the existing lead that is closed-lost shouldn’t get deleted.
- A duplicate lead should be created if a closed-lost lead comes back.
- Deciding on what parameters a duplicate lead can be created.
- Is it possible to sync Marketo’s Lead Activity Log in Salesforce for a better understanding of the lead?
- and more…
Keeping all of the aforementioned points in mind, a customized solution was created by Grazitti’s Salesforce experts. And it came out to be exactly what was expected.
The custom solution was capable of the following:
- If an opportunity has been closed-lost, and it comes back again in Marketo, it will automatically be further synced in Salesforce. Following the customization, a duplicate lead will be created.
- The duplicate lead is created on the basis of the lead score i.e if the person’s score crossed a specific threshold (a defined person/behavior score), only then a duplicate lead will be created.
- Not just that a duplicate lead will be created but the activities and details (activity feed) of the closed-lost lead will also be synced with the new duplicate lead.
- To better understand the behavior or a lead, a custom solution was also developed that lets sales folks fetch and see Marketo’s Lead Activity Log within their Salesforce instance.
Thus, making it easier to better target a leads in Salesforce based on the browsing history and not losing any track of the lead data.
This is just one of the hundreds of our success stories. Our Salesforce and Marketo experts have successfully delivered award-winning solutions to a number of companies including Fortune 500s.
Read our blog post: How One Company Mapped a Complex Product Catalog in Zuora with Salesforce, to know about another out-of-the-box solution that we developed and implemented.
Liked the solution? In case you need any kind of Salesforce-related assistance, Contact Us.
Popular Blog Posts